Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Its too cold!

I went on a bike ride on Monday out by the salt flats and nearly froze! Being my first time out on my bike in basically five years, I forgot how bitterly cold it can get when you're out there riding in January. I ended up having to layer my workout gear wearing a under armor thermal, skin suit, a jersey and a shell, two pair of tights, two pair of gloves, and I also wore wind resistant shoe covers! I got all the way out to where I was supposed to start my ride and realized I forgot a hat. So on top of the fact that the shoe covers didn't do dick and my toes nearly froze off (it took thirty minutes after my ride to get any feeling back in them) I rode in the icy cold with no hat to keep my ears warm...won't do that again!

Despite a few almost frostbitten extremities it felt good to get out there again and spin my legs! I totally forgot how amazing the the feeling is when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with just my breath and heartbeat. Something about it forces me into a state of mind that makes me forget all of life's petty problems and for at least a moment I am in awe of my body systems working in nearly perfect synergy.

However, that amazing feeling I had unfortunately wasn't enough to motivate me to get out there and freeze my ass off again today. Just walking out to my car in the cold was enough to chill me to the bone. I decided to make other arrangements for the rest of winter:




This is the 2010 model of the Cycleops Mag Plus Trainer! or in other words, something that makes your regular bike in to a stationary bike so you can ride inside instead of freezing your ass off outside. It's pretty awesome, you can watch movies while you ride your bike! I just found it on ebay for nearly half the retail price, so I hope I get it! Riding on a trainer inside is a great alternative to training when weather doesn't permit but anything more that two hours on this baby may result in death by complete boredom. Hopefully I can make it out on Saturdays when I am scheduled for my long rides.

On Sunday, I am doing a 30 minute TT (time trial) to figure out my heart rate zones. I hope the sun is out, and I hope Len yells loud when he is driving next to me telling me to put the hammer down!

2 comments:

Lyndsey Belnap said...

You are a badass biking bitch. I am so glad you are taking strides and reconnecting with your roots. Also, damn you are a good writer! I am excited to keep up with your blog, just so I can read your writing. Get down with your bad self, you sweet peach you.

Michael J said...

Drew,

I love you. But i love you more when you are writing, even if its not a bike rides. Post something and keep being a bad ass betch.- mIke